Hello My name is Don Vierstra I am advanced in Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, but first I am a traditional illustrator. I am efficient & detailed in quality sketches and ideas. I Love to design automobiles mostly. Very diverse and highly creative. I keep up with most of the automotive trends and ideas. I attend several car shows a year. Please take a look at samples of my work. Thank You for your time. Sincerely, Don
Buena Park, CA
Seeking to join a team that creates challenges that expands creative, professional and interpersonal skills. Therefore, allowing me to have a direct and positive impact to the success of your business. I hold several years of design and Illustration experience and would love to contribute my expertise adding to the growth and success of your business.
Freelance July 2011- current: Wide, creative, and diverse range of illustration, conceptual and graphic design projects.
Coastline Community College/Coast Learning Feb 2007 - June 2011: Creative and challenging Illustration, design, animation projects. Successful creative interpretation and Implementation of animated, interactive, voice recognition project (funded by the Hewlett foundation). Interactive program Teaching Chinese students English. High end design of educational promotional material and Illustration work for classroom instructional media.
BDA Marketing Jan 2006 - Feb 2007: Diverse creation of marketing materials to various clients in Southern California area. Responsibilities: Design, ads, logos, and marketing materials for various clients. Developed and organized client lists, magazine promotional campaigns with detailed information about specific client marketing and printing needs.
Verizon Directory May 2005- Oct 2005: Display Advertising: Custom designing clients' business presence in Yellow page advertising utilizing the latest software, interacting with sales and customers. Customized ad creation directly impacting increase of the client success.
Avalanche Publishing Jan 2005 - April 2005: Creative design of calenders & gift Items giving more impact to the products. Responsibilities: Graphic Design and photo manipulation, photo enhancement.
Freelance Jul 2003 - Jan 2005: Illustrating children's books, corporate identity, scrapbook sticker designs. Member of the Children's Society of Book Writers and Illustrators.
Immix Graphics Apr 2003 - Jun 2003: Creative art direction and graphic design. Creating banners and outside advertising. Organizing and streamlining work flow improving work process that increased the company’s revenue.
Consolidated Seed & Pet Jun 2001- Apr 2003: Art Direction/Marketing/graphic design creation of direct marketing materials. The design & promotion of pet food and related industry product. Distribution of promotional materials to pet stores having direct impact in increased sales. Responsibilities: Marketing and design of promotional materials.
Keepsmart.com Sept 2000 - Jun 2001: Lead graphic artist, Illustrator and animator (Flash) conceptualizing and designed online training courses. Responsibilities: Illustration, graphic design
Digital Graphics Advantage Mar 1988 - Sept 2000: Branch graphic artist, Illustrator. Specialized in original art creation utilizing traditional and digital media . Speculative advertising, coordination between sales and advertisers to facilitate an efficient and effective work flow. Active in conferences, sales campaigns, and participation in team building exercises. Most often meeting difficult deadlines and Increased sales. Responsibilities: Illustration and graphic design.
Extensive experience with both Windows & Mac platforms:
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign CS6, Kais Power tools, Power Point, Flash, MS office, MS Word, basic HTML programs. Always motivated to learn more! Self starter with great organization skills. Conceptual design, illustration, character, and logo design. Exceptional Photography experience, excellent photo retouch & image manipulation, cataloging, color correction of stock and custom images. Strong sense for aesthetics, eye for color, detail, balance & proportion.
Freelance & Achievements:
• Designed multiple creative automotive projects For Galpin Auto Sports clients -2012.
• Designer for car being built in Australia and contender for the Ridler Award in Detroit for -Feb 2014.
• Design (donated my creative work for their cause) Fueled By The Fallen fueledbythefallen.com (non-profit organization) -2012
• Honors from the Academy of Television arts & sciences for the contribution to the Emmy award winning achievement for Instructional
programming; Understanding Chemistry in our world. -2011
• Honorable mention MarCom Award - Marketing, promotional for Coast Learning Systems. -2010
• Gold Winner for MarCom Award - for Anthropology Preview mailer. -2008
• Planning, design, and participating of An automotive TV Pilot. ("What's it Worth?") 2007-2008
• Permanent Impressions - pi7.com (Huntington Beach, CA) 2d illustrations of custom cabinet design. Also worked on an Overhaulin’
project (The Learning Channel) (Rumblebee sticker design) for 1967 Dodge Coronet. Design custom Displays (Illustration) -2007
• Creative imaginations www.cigift.com (Huntington Beach, CA) - 2002
• Monster Garage/Discovery Channel - Designer/illustrator for episode called " Slingray." (air date: July 14, 2003)
• Jeff Patnaude www.whiterhinopress.com - Illustrated , Published children's book called "Penny." -2003
• Motor Trend design contest: entered a design and received honorable mention among the top 25% of 500 entries. - Sept. 2000
My work was displayed at the Anaheim International Auto show - November 2000.
• Cypress College: Art History and drawing -1984.
• Santiago College: Basic HTML, web development and design - 2000.
• Air Force: Aerospace Photography & Basic board electronics - 1980.
• Platt College: Graphic design - 1987
• New Horizons: Graphic software (Adobe PS, AI, and Aldus Freehand) - 1994
• Pacific Bell Directory/SBC/AT&T: Editor training, quality control and color correction for newsprint material - 1999.
A tribute to my grandfather, Gerrit Van Dyke (left side) with friends. - Photo taken in 1942 - in San Clemente, CA Photo restoration - Vierstra Design
The original Photo is discolored, cracked, scratched and simply showing it's age. I scanned it and proceeded to digitally enhance (with the use of Adobe Photoshop). A total of four hours restoration work.
If you are interested in having restoration work on some old favorite photos please got to my contact page and ask about it! They make great family gifts